AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
Nomination Period Opens: January 1, 2016
Nomination Deadline: March 31, 2016
College or university based communications officers primarily engaged with the management and operation of the communications program at an AAVMC member institution.
Who may nominate
Any individual employed at an AAVMC member institution.
The award includes a $1,000 honorarium. The awardee will be notified in May 2016. The awardee is expected to attend the meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP) meeting at the AVMA Convention to receive the award.
What to submit
- Name, job title, institution, and full contact information of both the nominee and nominator (if different).
- A 300-word description of the scope and major achievements of the member institution communications program. Please be succinct and quantitative.
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the institution describing the performance and achievements of the communication program and nominee.
- A summary sheet detailing the individual member grassroots participation with the AAVMC’s 50th anniversary celebration (documentation of engagement with three primary components of grassroots engagement program).
Where to submit materials
Materials should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Work accomplished between January 1 and December 31, 2015 will be considered
during the award cycle.
- Strategic nature of communication program, extent to which it advances organizational goals and metrics that demonstrate results
- Overall quality and scope of the communication program conducted on behalf of the member institution (owned and earned media)
- Member institution engagement with 50th Anniversary Program (efforts to feature anniversary video before various audiences, procure and publicize resolutions of support from key stakeholder groups and deploy anniversary PSA materials with owned and earned media.
An award committee comprised of individuals representing expertise in public relations and academic veterinary medicine will be appointed by AAVMC.
The "AAVMC Communications Excellence Award" is designed to recognize the important role communications plays in advancing academic veterinary medicine and the profession. It also seeks to inspire higher levels of performance among our members.
During this 50th anniversary year, the award will also recognize member engagement with the AAVMC’s 50th Anniversary program. In addition to overall program excellence, judging criteria will recognize grassroots institutional participation in anniversary communication programs.
The award includes a $1,000 honorarium, a plaque, and recognition during the annual meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP). The recipient is expected to attend the AVAP meeting held in conjunction with the 2016 annual meeting of the AVMA in San Antonio, Texas to receive the award.
Nominations are welcome from any individual employed by an AAVMC member institution and candidates may nominate themselves. Nominators must submit materials electronically via email. The winner will be announced in May 2016.
Past recipients of the AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
2015 Ms. Linda Ybarra
2014 Ms. Ashley Berke