Council on Education Membership
AAVMC is responsible for appointing and funding seven members of the Council on Education (COE) in the following areas: basic science, large animal clinical science, small animal clinical science, postgraduate education, veterinary medical research, and veterinary preventive medicine.
The AAVMC COE Selection Committee consists of the following members:
- Three members of the AAVMC Assembly
- Two former members of the Council on Education
- Current members of the AAVMC Board of Directors are not eligible to serve on the COE Selection Committee
The AAVMC COE Selection Committee is charged with:
- Developing guidelines and procedures for soliciting AAVMC volunteers to serve on the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (COE).
- Developing and maintaining a qualification review process for candidates for appointment to the COE. This includes establishing and updating as necessary candidate-qualifications review criteria.
- Encouraging applications for open COE positions from qualified individuals.
- Appointing members to the COE and notifying the Board of Directors of such appointments.
The Committee will review submitted nominations based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated interest in the scope and future of veterinary medicine
- Demonstrated interest in veterinary education
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate electronically
- Ability to critically evaluate data, formulate questions and reach conclusions
- Appreciation of the dynamic nature and diversity of veterinary education programs
- Basic understanding of the role of accreditation in education
- Demonstrated competence in the designated area of veterinary medical activity that will be represented on the Council
- Current members of the AAVMC Board of Directors are not eligible for selection as COE members