One Health Committee
The mission of the AAVMC One Health Committee is to:
- Promote and support sustainable, faculty and student-led One Health initiatives that expand One Health activities beyond the walls of the veterinary college to other health professions and graduate education programs, and to the public at large.
- Advocate at the local, state, federal, and global levels for increased awareness of, and research and training program funding for, One Health programs and for increased inter-professional engagement opportunities.
- Define and develop One Health competencies, as described by the North American Veterinary Medical Education Consortium (NAVMEC), with the goal of integrating One Health content into the DVM professional program and other One Health-relevant graduate and professional curricula.
- Identify and promote domestic and global opportunities for experiential learning and professional continuing educational activities for students and graduates of veterinary medical and other One Health-related professional programs.
- Promote veterinary medical careers in One Health to students across the K-20+ spectrum, emphasizing the veterinarian’s role in advancing public health and welfare of animals, people, their local and global communities, and the environment.
The vision of the AAVMC One Health Committee is to lead efforts to promote and integrate One Health initiatives to improve the health of animals, people and the environment.
- To promote the concept of One Health globally among all AAVMC member institutions and across the veterinary medical profession through organizations like AAVMC, AVMA and other veterinary professional organizations.
- To infuse One Health content into veterinary medical education.
- To educate other health professions about the unique role veterinarians play in human medicine, health promotion, and prevention of disease.
- To promote One Health’s impact on medical advancements and discoveries that result in the improved health of animals, humans, communities, and the environment.
- To host and support symposia and meetings that promote inter-professional One Health education opportunities.
- To advocate for increased collaborative, inter-agency, inter-departmental and foundation funding sources for One Health education, research and outreach efforts.
- To promote interdisciplinary disease surveillance.
- To facilitate or create educational and laboratory based materials and examples for online courses that promote One Health
2019– 2020 One Health Committee Leadership
Professor, Chair of One Health
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Georgia
Term expires 2020
Vacant, Past Chair
Sr. Director for Academic and Research Affairs