AAVMC receives many requests to survey our member institutions,
faculty, staff and students. AAVMC specifically reviews surveys intended
for leaders at our member institutions (deans, associate and assistant
deans, etc). We developed this policy to assist our member institutions
as they decide to participate in external surveys.
- The Survey Committee will decide to approve or not approve
requests for surveys. In making this decision, the Committee will
consider the quality of the survey instrument, the expected time to
complete the survey, and the number of people expected to participate,
among other factors. The Committee may also seek the advice of the
Senior Director for Institutional Research and Diversity or other AAVMC
- AAVMC will notify member institutions when a survey request is
approved through distribution of the survey to the targeted survey
population. Survey instruments must not be altered following approval.
The decision to participate in a survey is entirely at the discretion of
each member institution.
- AAVMC will not conduct surveys for other organizations.
Responsibility for analyzing data from an approved survey rests with
the requesting organization.
Study Approval Request Procedure
Investigators seeking approval of the Association of American
Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) for dissemination of surveys to the
AAVMC’s member institutions must provide the study information
(described below) to Lisa Greenhill, Senior Director for Institutional
Research and Diversity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions may be made prior to seeking Institutional Review Board
(IRB) approval. Submissions should also be received for review at least
one month prior to the anticipated start of data collection.
Required information for AAVMC study approval review:
- The name of the investigator conducting the study, title, organization/company, and contact information.
- A brief project summary that includes the purpose/objectives of
the study, how the study builds on previous work and how the project
will benefit the AAVMC and veterinary medical education.
- What audience or population is targeted for completion of the study; please be as specific as possible.
- Which AAVMC member institutions do you wish to survey (i. e. all
colleges, or specifically US, Canadian, International colleges,
Departments of Veterinary Sciences, Departments of Comparative
- A copy of the proposed study instrument along with preamble.
- Estimate of time required to complete the survey based on a test with a representative from a similar target group.
- How will the results be used and shared. Do you intend to publish your research findings?
- A statement of intentions regarding the confidentiality of those
responding, and if identities will be confidential, how will that
confidentiality be achieved.
- A commitment to recognize AAVMC in an acknowledgment section of any published paper directly derived from this research.
Requests will be reviewed by AAVMC’s Survey Committee. Revisions
and additional questions may be required during the approval process.
Approval notification will include language to be included in
introductory materials, acknowledging AAVMC’s review process.
Failure to seek and/or gain approval of AAVMC study approval may
result in member notification of the distribution of an unauthorized
Approved by AAVMC Board of Directors
July 21, 2017