The chronology of the incorporation and activities of the actual Teaching and Research Farms of the College is:
- August 17, 1853 - By presidential decree, President Antonio López de Santana established the first Veterinary Medicine School in the American continent. The school was situated in “San Jacinto Hospice,” located in Mexico City. Some decades later, in 1922, the school relocated to the Merced de las Huertas in the Popotla vicinity.
- 1929 - Under the auspices of the National University of Mexico, the College of Veterinary Medicine moved from the Ministry of Agriculture and became part of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. The Veterinary Medicine College located new facilities in Santa Catarina square in Mexico City’s Coyoacan district.
- 1933 - A group of 39 professors instituted the National Academy of Veterinary Medicine, which is the predecessor of the Mexican Academy of Veterinary Medicine. Currently, the academic body is composed of 144 members with corresponding associates in Europe, North America and South America.
- 1935 - Changes in the curricula supported a modification in the name of the degree obtained, from Medico Veterinario to Medico Veterinario Zootecnista. Four years later, the Veterinary Medicine School moved back to the San Jacinto location.
- 1947 to 1955 - Professors and students from the Veterinary Medicine School played a significant role in the Foot and Mouth disease eradication campaign. Their activities extended to the field as well as the laboratory level.
- During all this time, the Veterinary Medicine School provided clinical treatment to farm animals; however, it wasn’t until 1948 that the first clinical facilities and hospitals for small and large animals were established. Laboratories for microbiology, histology, parasitology, physiology and chemistry were also equipped.
- 1952 - UNAM inaugurated a new campus, “Ciudad Universitaria,” in the south of Mexico City, and the Veterinary Medicine School moved there in 1956, where facilities provided support for large and small animal clinical work as well as providing well-equipped laboratories to all the areas of the curricula.
- 1969 – Construction of new facilities for the Veterinary College in “Ciudad Universitaria” Campus begins. Since that time, all the different college administrations have been conscious of maintaining facilities in optimum condition for proper veterinary medical instruction.
- 1999 –UNAM’s veterinary college is accredited by the Mexican National Council in Veterinary Medicine (CONEVET)
- 2004 – The College is accredited by the Pan-American Council in Veterinary Medicine (COPEVET)
- A special emphasis on remodeling occurred from 2006 to 2010 in preparation for American Veterinary Medical Association accreditation. During that time, the university built two new small animal hospitals--the specialties hospital and the UNAM-Banfield Hospital—dedicated to primary care of dogs and cats. A new large animal hospital was also built, with three operating rooms, recovery rooms, and an annex for isolating animals with infectious diseases. And all the laboratories used for the lab sessions of the lectures included in the curricula were remodeled and equipped.
- March 2011 – The College is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association for a period of seven years.
- The curriculum changed in 2006, emphasizing the practical approach during the last three program semesters. Due to these changes, the Colleges focused on updating teaching and research farms.
- The Veterinary College has seven teaching and research farms. Since beginning more than 160 years ago, students have had access to different facilities to practice the various procedures required in production medicine. In 1964, the first farm, named “Rancho 4 Milpas” in Tepozotlan, Mexico, was dedicated to production medicine in ruminants. Due to the expansion of the Mexico City metropolitan area, this farm was sold in 2007.
The Avian Teaching and Research Farm was officially donated to the UNAM in 1971. It is located on six hectares at 12 miles from the main veterinary unit (MVU) and includes facilities for poultry, laying hens, ostrich and rabbit production. The Farm for Practical Training on Animal Health and Production was opened in May of 1976. It is located on 3.3 hectares at 11 miles from the MVU and has sheep, goats and cows that are used for training in animal-handling and medical procedures. The Tropical Husbandry Teaching and Research Farm became part of the UNAM’s Veterinary College in 1977. It is located east of Mexico City, at 240 miles from the MVU and is the largest of our farms. It consists of 284 hectares with dual-purpose cattle, Zebu cattle, hair sheep and aquaculture. In September 26, 1990, UNAM acquired the Ovine Teaching and Research Farm. It is located south of Mexico City, at 27 miles from the MVU and consists of 44 hectares. The Porcine Teaching and Research Farm is located north of Mexico City, at 62 miles from the MVU. It consists of 11 hectares. The Holistic Ranch-Management Teaching and Research Farm is located north of Mexico City, at 126 km (79 miles) from the MVU. It consists of 248 hectares, 138 of them being temperate forests where bovine, ovine, caprine and equine livestock are holistically managed; both The Porcine farm and The Holistic Ranch-Management Farm were officially donated to the UNAM by the Ministry of Agriculture in August 28th, 1992. The Highlands Livestock Teaching and Research Farm is the newest facility.