AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
Nomination Period Opens: April 15, 2022
Nomination Deadline: May 31, 2022
College or university based communications officers primarily engaged with the management and operation of the communications program at an AAVMC member institution.
Who may nominate
Any individual employed at an AAVMC member institution.
The awardee will be notified in early July 2022. The awardee is expected to attend the meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP) meeting at the AVMA Convention to receive the award.
What to submit – The following file formats are acceptable: MS Word, PDF and/or PowerPoint.
- Name, job title, institution, and full contact information of both the nominee and nominator (if different).
- A 300-500 word description of the scope (major components) and achievements of the member institution communications program (Please be succinct and quantitative…descriptions must not exceed 500 words)
- Samples of supporting program materials (do not include multiple versions of same product; e.g. magazine or newsletter)
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the institution describing the performance and achievements of the communication program and nominee (not to exceed two pages).
2022 Nomination/Application Process
The AAVMC has introduced a new completely automated nomination process this year. Click here to begin the award nomination/application process.
Work accomplished between January 1 and December 31, 2021 will be considered during the award cycle.
- Strategic nature of communication program, extent to which it advances organizational goals and metrics that demonstrate results
- Overall quality and scope of the communication program conducted on behalf of the member institution (owned and earned media, print, digital and multimedia products)
An award committee comprised of individuals representing expertise in marketing, communications and academic veterinary medicine will be appointed by AAVMC.
The “AAVMC Communications Excellence Award” recognizes the important role communication programs play in advancing academic veterinary medicine and the profession. It also seeks to inspire higher levels of performance among our members. The award includes a plaque and recognition during the annual meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP). The recipient is expected to attend the AVAP meeting held in conjunction with the 2022 annual meeting of the AVMA in Philadelphia, PA, for the award presentation ceremony. Nominations are welcome from any individual employed by an AAVMC member institution and candidates may nominate themselves. All nominations must be submitted in digital form via upload. The winner will be announced in early July 2022.
Past recipients of the AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
2022 – The Ohio State University – As of 2022, the award will be granted to the team/department in the respective School of Veterinary Medicine
2021 – University of Wisconsin * Due to the exceptional work on a 2020 Superbowl commercial, a team award was granted.
2020 – Kevin Doerr – Purdue University
2019 – Mr. Joe Montgomery – Kansas State University
2018 – Ms. Kristen Browning-Blas – Colorado State University
2017 – Ms. Sarah Carey – University of Florida
2016 – Dr. Megan Palsa – Texas A&M University
2015 – Ms. Linda Ybarra – UC Davis
2014 – Ms. Ashley Berke – University of Pennsylvania