AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
Nomination Period Opens: January 1, 2020
Nomination Deadline: April 30, 2020
College or university based communications officers primarily engaged with the management and operation of the communications program at an AAVMC member institution.
Who may nominate
Any individual employed at an AAVMC member institution.
The award includes a $1,000 honorarium. The awardee will be notified in May 2020. The awardee is expected to attend the meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP) meeting at the AVMA Convention to receive the award.
What to submit
- Name, job title, institution, and full contact information of both the nominee and nominator (if different).
- A 300-500 word description of the scope (major components) and achievements of the member institution communications program (Please be succinct and quantitative…descriptions must not exceed 500 words)
- Samples of supporting program materials (do not include multiple versions of same product; e.g. magazine or newsletter)
- A letter of recommendation from the dean of the institution describing the performance and achievements of the communication program and nominee (not to exceed two pages).
Download nomination form here.
Where to submit materials
Materials should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work accomplished between January 1 and December 31, 2019 will be considered during the award cycle.
- Strategic nature of communication program, extent to which it advances organizational goals and metrics that demonstrate results
- Overall quality and scope of the communication program conducted on behalf of the member institution (owned and earned media, print, digital and multimedia products)
An award committee comprised of individuals representing expertise in public relations and academic veterinary medicine will be appointed by AAVMC.
The “AAVMC Communications Excellence Award” recognizes the important role communication programs play in advancing academic veterinary medicine and the profession. It also seeks to inspire higher levels of performance among our members.The award includes a $1,000 honorarium, a plaque, and recognition during the annual meeting of the Association of Veterinary Advancement Professionals (AVAP). The recipient is expected to attend the AVAP meeting held in conjunction with the 2020 annual meeting of the AVMA in Denver, Colorado for the award presentation ceremony.Nominations are welcome from any individual employed by an AAVMC member institution and candidates may nominate themselves. All nominations must be submitted in digital form via email. The winner will be announced in May 2020.
Past recipients of the AAVMC Communications Excellence Award
2020 Kevin Doerr
2019 Mr. Joe Montgomery
2018 Ms. Kristen Browning-Blas
2017 Ms. Sarah Carey
2016 Dr. Megan Palsa
2015 Ms. Linda Ybarra
2014 Ms. Ashley Berke