Nomination Period Opens: September 2, 2020
Nomination Deadline: October 15, 2020
Nominees may be an individual within a college/school of veterinary medicine or external to a college/school of veterinary medicine. The individual need not be a veterinarian.
Who may nominate
Any individual employed at an AAVMC member institution.
The awardee will be notified in November 2020. The award includes a $1000 honorarium. The awardee will be featured in a 3-minute tribute video during the virtual Annual Conference in March 2021. Awardee’s registration costs will be covered by AAVMC.
What to submit
1. Nomination letter addressing the award criteria (see below)
2. Supporting documentation, not to exceed 10 single-sided pages
Where to submit materials
Materials should be submitted using the following survey linked here
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in academic veterinary medicine through contributions that may have impact in any area–college, local area or region, state and/or national arenas.
- Played a significant role in the recruitment, development, and retention of pre-vet and DVM students, faculty, residents and interns from underrepresented or disadvantaged and/or marginalized groups.
- Included and promoted diversity in the veterinary medical profession through the inclusion/infusion of diversity issues in the college environment through programming and curriculum additions.
The AAVMC Diversity Committee appoints the award committee from among its members.
Background of the award and recent past recipients
The Iverson Bell Award is given in memory and recognition of Dr. Iverson Bell’s outstanding leadership and contributions in the promotion of diversity in veterinary medical education.
Past recipients of the Iverson Bell Award
2020 Drs. Jaime Gongora and Sandra San Miguel
2019 Dr. Kenita Rogers
2017 Dr. Allen Cannedy
2015 Dr. K. Paige Carmichael
2013 Dr. Ronnie Elmore
2011 Dr. Willie Reed
2009 Dr. Tracy Hanner
2007 Dr. Halcyon Watkins
2005 Dr. James Coffman
2003 Dr. Alfonza Atkinson
2001 Dr. Louis Archbold
1999 Dr. Eugene Adams
1997 Dr. Sylvia Graham
1995 Dr. Albert Dade
1993 Dr. Walter Bowie
1991 Ms. Patricia Lowrie
1989 Dr. Billy Hooper