Merck Animal Health Diversity Leadership Scholarship
Patricia M. Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship
Nomination Period Opens: September 1, 2022
Nomination Deadline: October 17, 2022
About the Scholarships
The Merck Animal Health Diversity Leadership Scholarship
The Merck Animal Health Diversity Leadership Scholarship recognizes students who have demonstrated a record of contributing to enhancing diversity and inclusion at AAVMC member Institutions. The scholarship honors students who have been consistent champions of addressing inequities and underrepresentation in the veterinary profession, have advocated for social justice, and have advanced valuing diversity and inclusion at AAVMC Member Institutions. Up to 18 scholarships will be awarded; each scholarship will be awarded a one-time payment in the amount of $5,000
The Patricia M. Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship
The Patricia M. Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship also recognizes veterinary students who have demonstrated exemplary promise as future leaders and have made significant contributions to enhancing diversity and inclusion in academic veterinary medicine. The awardee of the Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship will only be selected from the Merck Animal Health Diversity Leadership Scholarship nominations pool. Each scholarship will be awarded a one-time payment in the amount of $6,000.
Veterinary students must:
- Be a current second- or third-year veterinary student in good standing (e.g. passing all courses, no disciplinary issues) at an AAVMC Member Institution (accredited school or college of veterinary medicine);
- Have a demonstrated record of contributing to enhancing diversity and inclusion through course projects, co-curricular activities, outreach, domestic and community engagement, research, and/or developed an early reputation for influencing others to be inclusive.
- Be nominated by their institution.
Nomination Submission Process
Each AAVMC Institutional Member may nominate one (1) eligible student for the Merck Animal Health Diversity Leadership Scholarship. As noted above, selected scholarship recipients will then be considered for the Patricia M. Lowrie Diversity Leadership Scholarship.
The following materials must be submitted for a nomination to be considered:
- A letter of nomination from the Dean of the school or college.
- A personal statement from the nominee about their diversity efforts and how they intend to continue promoting diversity in veterinary medicine after veterinary school. Essay should not exceed three, type-written, double-spaced pages.
- A copy of the student’s resume or curriculum vitae.
- A current copy of the student’s unofficial transcript.
Materials should be submitted using the following survey linked here
Scholarship nominations will be primarily evaluated on the documentation of a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity in academic veterinary medicine through contributions that may be felt in any area–college, local area or region, state and/or national arenas. Consideration will also be given to academic achievement and the student’s broader community service record. Institutions should submit all documentation to the AAVMC Diversity Committee by October 15, 2022. Only complete nomination packets will be considered. Institutions may nominate no more than one student for this award.
Recipients of the scholarship will be invited to attend the Annual Conference in March 2023. Recipients will be notified in December.
For more information, please contact,
Dr. Lisa Greenhill