The Professional Development Committee is an Advisory Committee to the AAVMC Board of Directors. The Committee serves to support the AAVMC Strategic Plan Goal 3, to build a robust pipeline of future scholars and educators for academic veterinary medicine and support them throughout their careers.
The Professional Development Committee is charged to:
- Assess and prioritize the professional development needs of the AAVMC in alignment with the association’s strategic plan.
- Advise the AAVMC in the standards, policies, and procedures pertaining to the development and implementation of professional development programs
- Collaborate with AAVMC entities, partners, and subject matter experts in the evaluation, validation, and improvement of professional development program delivery
The membership of the committee is composed of 5-7 representatives from AAVMC member institutions in the following competencies:
- Competency-based education
- Curriculum design
- Assessment strategies
- Instructional technology
- Instructional design
- Educational research
- Program evaluation
- Team and interdisciplinary teaching
- Adult learning theory
- Leadership development
At least two committee members should be from an international member institution. The Chair of the Professional Development Committee is ex officio member of the Annual Conference Planning Committee. One Board member shall be designated to serve as Board Liaison to the Professional Development Committee.
Professional Development Committee members are nominated through the AAVMC annual call for volunteers and are appointed by the AAVMC president. The term of office for committee members shall be three years, and committee members are eligible for reappointment once for a maximum of two terms. The initial committee membership will be offered 1-, 2-, or 3-year appointments in order to facilitate an appropriate rotation schedule.
Approved by the Board of Directors July 29, 2022