Survey Committee Scope
The AAVMC Survey Committee provides an added layer of scholarly review to research projects targeting leaders at AAVMC member institutions. The survey review process also allows the Association to track national scope research projects and to encourage researcher collaboration on similar projects of interest.
Investigators with research projects with a national or international scope on veterinary medical education that identify the Deans, Associate Deans or other administrators at AAVMC member institutions as the survey population should seek approval from the AAVMC Survey Committee. Examples of national/international scope projects include, but are not limited to, multi-institutional research on trends in curriculum, outcomes assessment, campus climate or other topics that will contribute to the existing body of literature on veterinary medical education.
- All surveys from outside organizations and companies are subject to AAVMC Survey Committee review.
- Brief, informal queries, which may be collegially made by administrators and staff through AAVMC listserv or SharePoint communication channels, are exempt from the survey review process.
- AAVMC approved surveys will be distributed to the survey population by AAVMC. All surveys not distributed through AAVMC channels are presumed to be unapproved.
Survey Submission and Review
Investigators seeking approval of the AAVMC for dissemination of surveys to the AAVMC’s member institutions must provide the study information (described below) to Lisa Greenhill, Senior Director for Institutional Research and Diversity at email@example.com or via fax at 202- 842-0773.
Submissions should be received by the AAVMC prior to seeking Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval. Submissions should also be received for review at least one month prior to the anticipated start of data collection.
Required information for AAVMC study approval review:
- Who is conducting the study, title, organization/company, and contact information
- A brief project summary that includes the purpose/objectives of the study, how the study builds on previous work and how the project will benefit the AAVMC and veterinary medical education
- What audience or population is targeted for completion of the study; please be as specific as possible
- Which AAVMC member institutions do you wish to survey (i. e. all colleges, or specifically US, Canadian, International colleges, Departments of Veterinary Sciences, Departments of Comparative Medicine)
- A copy of the proposed study instrument along with preamble
- Estimate of time required to complete the survey based on a test with a representative from a similar target group
- How will the results be used and shared? Do you intend to publish your research findings?
- A statement of intentions regarding the confidentiality of those responding, and if identities will be confidential, how will that confidentiality be achieved
- A commitment to recognize AAVMC in an acknowledgment section of any published paper directly derived from this research
Requests will be reviewed by AAVMC’s Survey Committee. Revisions and additional questions may be required during the approval process. Approval notification will include language to be included in introductory materials, acknowledging AAVMC’s review process. Failure to seek and/or gain approval of AAVMC study approval may result in member notification of the distribution of an unauthorized survey.