AAVMC Excellence in Research Award
Nomination Period Opens: September 4, 2019
Nomination Deadline: October 15, 2019
Nominees must be affiliated with an AAVMC member or affiliate member institution, and be an active researcher (currently publishing, conducting research, and supervising graduate student training). Nominations are open internationally to individuals in any discipline of veterinary medicine. There is a limit of one nomination per AAVMC institution.
Who may nominate
AAVMC Institutional Representatives.
The awardee will be notified in November 2019. The award includes a $1000 honorarium. The awardee is expected to attend the AAVMC Annual Conference in March 2020 to receive the award and will be featured in a 3-minute tribute video. The awardee's reasonable costs (registration, travel, housing, meals) for attending the Annual Conference will be covered by AAVMC.
What to submit
Nominators must submit the following materials electronically via email.
- Nomination letter addressing the award criteria.
- Three supporting letters from individuals knowledgeable about the nominee’s achievements (at least two of these should be from colleagues at an institution other than the nominee’s current institution).
- The nominee's current C.V.
Where to submit materials
Materials should be submitted by email to email@example.com
- Pioneered in the development of novel and significant areas of knowledge.
- Developed new knowledge in a creative manner and with independent insight.
- Created new knowledge to expand the understanding of veterinary medicine and/or extended the application of knowledge to veterinary practice/technology.
- Developed creative and innovative hypotheses during research.
- Developed new and superior experimental methodologies.
- Formulated experimental designs that enabled the derivation of unambiguous conclusions.
- Conveyed research results to the scientific community with clarity through timely presentation at scientific meetings and by publication in high quality journals.
Graduate Student/Residency Training
- Provided essential contributions in team research endeavors.
- Recognized as an innovator and scholar by peers as evidenced by other scientific awards and by invitations to participate in scholarly activities such as symposia.
- Shared their research experience willingly and unselfishly with the scientific community through activities such as providing expert advice, sharing new techniques, or providing unique reagents.
- Applied experimental results for the benefit of society.
- Consistent track record of excellence in instruction/training of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, residents, or interns.
The AAVMC Research Committee appoints the Award Committee from among its members. The award shall be given yearly, if a suitable recipient is identified by the Award Committee.
Background and past recipients
In 2011, the Board of Directors established the AAVMC Excellence in Research Award to recognize outstanding research and scholarly achievements in the field of veterinary medicine. The award honors those who demonstrate excellence in original research, leadership in the scientific community, and exceptional mentoring of trainees and colleagues in any discipline of veterinary medicine. This award showcases the contributions of AAVMC member institutions to the scientific community, and the Award Committee seeks the most outstanding individuals for this recognition.
Past recipients of the AAVMC Excellence in Research Award
2019 Dr. Guy Palmer
2018 Dr. Colin Parrish
2017 Dr. Edward Breitschwerdt
2016 Dr. James Womack
2015 Dr. Susan VandeWoude
2014 Dr. Yoshihiro Kawaoka
2013 Dr. James Fox
2012 Dr. Edward Hoover
2011 Dr. Stephen Barthold