The number one question students want to know about becoming a veterinarian: “How do I get into Veterinary School?
Click for: AVMA’s “Veterinary Admissions 101” Page
Click for: Frequently Asked Questions
How to Prepare in High School
- Gain a solid background in math and science.
- Take part in extracurricular activities (athletics, school clubs, FFA, etc)
- Study and maintain a high GPA and high SAT/ACT scores.
- Acquire as much experience with pets as possible. Consider volunteering at your local humane society or with a local veterinarian.
How to Prepare as a College Undergraduate
- Take a pre-vet or comparable curriculum, that is, one that includes math and several science courses such as biology and chemistry.
- Maintain a high GPA
- Gain as much broad exposure to veterinary medicine as possible. Consider job shadowing with veterinarians, scientists, working on a farm or volunteering at an animal shelter.
- Join a Pre-Vet club.