Congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in veterinary medicine! Below is information that will assist you as you embark on the process of applying to veterinary medical school.
Research schools and attend information events
- Utilize the Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirement (VMSAR) school directory
- Review the Prerequisite chart and general information chart for veterinary medical schools
- Research cost of schools using the AAVMC Cost Comparison Tool
- Attend informational webinars and events to help you understand how to prepare and apply
Work with an Advisor
- Work with a pre-health or pre-vet advisor at your undergraduate institution.
- Advisors can help you navigate the journey of becoming a competitive applicant and the application process.
- Pre-health advisors provide you with guidance about your different options, so you are able to make informed decisions.
- Gain animal experience by job shadowing, working on a farm or volunteering at an animal shelter
- Gain veterinary clinical experience under the direct supervision of a veterinarian
- Seek opportunities for research experience (animal and veterinary research as well as other field and/or laboratory-based research).