Programs and Initiatives
The AAVMC serves as a catalyst and convener on issues of importance to academic veterinary medicine and oversees several exciting initiatives.
- Leading efforts to review, evaluate, and improve veterinary medical education in order to prepare graduates with the competencies needed to address society's needs.
- Promoting high-quality research and encouraging students to pursue veterinary medical research careers
- Advocating for the recruitment and retention of underrepresented minorities in veterinary medicine through our DiVersity Matters program
- Working in government affairs to inform and influence policymakers and secure government resources in support of academic veterinary medicine
- Developing and communicating standards that promote animal welfare
- Promoting global collaborations that enhance academic veterinary medicine worldwide
In addition, we promote a One Health
approach to medicine and provide information to the public and potential veterinary students about careers in veterinary medicine
and the need to fill veterinary positions in high-need areas such as bio-medical research, public health, and food safety.
We invite you to explore each category of this website to obtain a comprehensive sense of the scope of the AAVMC's work on behalf of academic veterinary medicine.